Tuesday, March 24, 2009

#6: Vinyl














I know, music head dude, vinyl! How can you possibly do without vinyl?

Well, let me ask you a question: How do you get rid of vinyl? What, for the love of christ, are we going to do with the billions and billions of records out there? Have you been to the Goodwill lately? Those huge piles of Barbara Streisand LPs aren't exactly flying out the door.

The fact is vinyl is one of the most descructive enterprises our environment has had to take on. Why do you think most vinyl is made in places like the former Czechoslovakia? Because that's where the vinyl trees are?

It's because it's massively harmful to produce (cancer, birth defects and respiratory problems, &c.). And yes, oo, record covers, but holmes, how about we just make the cover for you? Would that make you happy?

I currently have about 2,000 records in a closet at home and I have no fucking idea what I'm going to do with them. Physically moving records is an absolute nightmare, and I couldn't build a house out of them because if that house burned to the ground I'd kill like thousands of birds.

Some people will sure miss vinyl. Especially those weird people that sit on top of their collections and call them "stores." But the vinyl we have will be around for centuries, and we can't miss anything that cannot go away.

Despite the constant revival of stories by boomers in the media declaring vinyl alive! Let's call it dead so we can stop killing birds.

Also: Serato.

2 comments:

  1. heheh...I completely feel you David!
    I am about to move and have a massive record collection...I dont even know how many I have, but it fills about 8 recycling boxes (those are impossible to move!)
    feeling like I want to call my collection a "store" right about now too!
    The plus side of the economic changes are the eco changes that happen with less consumption...but the ? remains..what do we do with all this vinyl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dude, when you are ready to get rid of all your DEAD VINYL. let me know i'm sure we can find a Music Dude to take them off your hands!

    ReplyDelete