Thursday, March 19, 2009

#3: SUVs















Without a doubt, if there was one sign of our impending economic doom, it was these monstrosities. When we look back on the giant sucking sound that is the world's economy, one look at the SUV and historians will say: What were they thinking?

Perhaps the best personal illustration I can provide would be the one of the my mother, all 5' 2" of her, who proudly owned a, yes, Lincoln Navigator. The Navigator is one garish beast, probably the most cumbersome of all SUVs. Not only is it a titantic, gas-chugging nightmare, but it's also ridiculously extravagant, with leather interior, mahogany paneling the works. When visiting home, mom would drive, really hardly being able to see over the steering wheel. She's a great driver, so I never felt unsafe, but how could I? If we were running over small deer I wouldn't have any idea.

And the spite lingers. The more the economy collapses, the more glares the people who drive these tanks get. But how would they even see our stares? And, really, hybrids? Give me a break.

If the economic revolution ever does arrive in a violent wave, I could certainly imagine vehicles like these becoming targets for some sort of vandalism (I wouldn't try overturning them, though).

So long, SUVs. You were the symbol of excess, consumerism run amok and the flawed, too-manipulated arc of American ingenuity.

We won't miss you, and might even need to burn you for warmth. Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment