Monday, March 23, 2009

#5: The Postal Service













No, indie boy, not the band, but the USPS. The Post Office.

As it stands now I get four different things in the mail:

1. Bills for overdue credit cards and loans.

-- These people call me every hour on the hour. Do I really need to get wasteful letters from them as well? And as far as regular bills go, I do everything from the bill-paying program at my bank's website. I even get bills that ask me if I no longer want bills!

2. Catalogs

-- Oh yes, catalogs. Considering I don't have any money to pay for this stuff, it's a bit like waving it in my face. Although I don't think I've ever bought anything from Pottery Barn, and I don't think I ever will. There are catalogs on teh webterboobs, they are called websites.

3. Letters from relatives I don't know that well.

Look me up on Facebook, folks. And I won't miss your Christmas letter about Jesus, either.

4. Magazines.

-- I can get the cheapest magazines delivered to my house but most often I buy nicer ones at a bookstore and/or drugstore when I am interested in what they are writing about. Plus some of the best ones put it all online anyway.

I know, I know, the USPS is a huge entity with many jobs. But it's also a part of the US government that spends my tax dollars to advertise its monopoly (??!). As they tell people to go online and close offices, they also force people into ugly shorts and sends them out to contend with wild dogs.

As the USPS is considering not delivering on Saturdays, I wonder if we can get them to not deliver to us at all? Maybe an opt-out type of system? I understand those in rural areas depend on the mail (hell, half of them don't have teh netnets) but for me an many other urbanites, mail is becoming a pain in the ass.

So long, USPS. Don't worry, the nostalgia for the days when we had people deliver us little slips of paper will live on.

Just not here.

2 comments:

  1. No way! Maybe, MAYBE the office itself will close. But who's going to bring all the multitudes of mail order shit as the future marches forward to all-business-on-the-internet-all-the-time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm - yeah, I agree. I think the post office will eventually morph completely into a product delivery portal for the internet marketplace before it goes belly up completely. However, I definitely agree that 80% of everything I get is junk or stuff I've been trying to stop from getting in the mail for a long time. It's very wasteful and needs to change.

    ReplyDelete